Home | Busch Gardens | Arroyo Seco | About Pasadena Gardens | Images | Comments

- Image Information -

 

 


See Details - Click Here

Details - Click Here

Annex Property

 

 

 

 

Very rare photo of the rear of the Annex property near Arroyo boulevard. R. G. Fraser had a cottage in this area from 1912 to 1927. Greenhouses and beautiful pathways.


See Details - Click Here

Details - Click Here

The Annex

 

 

 

 

“The Annex” of Adolphus Busch purchased in 1910. Originally built for Prof. Lowe in 1891 designed by T. W. Parkes. At almost 24,000 sq. ft., one of the biggest houses in California. Occupied a 305' frontage on Orange Grove avenue on 11+ acres. Modified in 1904 by Los Angeles architect, John Parkinson.


See Details - Click Here

Details - Click Here

Arroyo Seco

 

 

 

 

Looking north Busch’s “sea walls” are on both sides of the river bed of the Arroyo Seco. Young willows share the planting with alfalfa. A pathway on the right leads to Jevne Point/”Camel’s Hump” - a ridge running easterly from San Rafael Heights.


See Details - Click Here

Details - Click Here

Arroyo Stone Bench

 

 

 

 

A bench 35 feet long at a curve in South Arroyo boulevard. Built circa 1912. It can be seen briefly in the film, “Carefree” - 1938, with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The pathway it is on runs from the southeast corner of the Lower Gardens to Busch Garden Drive.


See Details - Click Here

Details - Click Here

Cactus Wall

 

 

 

 

The Cactus Wall on the side of the hill below the Grecian Pergola with scores of Arroyo stone planters and lateral pathways connected to a winding stairway.


See Details - Click Here

Details - Click Here

Fox Family

 

 

 

 

Beautiful terracotta figurines made by master artisans in Germany and shipped to the Busch Gardens in 1911. Lilly Busch placed each tableau in the gardens in 1912.


See Details - Click Here

Details - Click Here

Garden Policeman

 

 

 

 

A garden policeman by the lake with mature willows and pampas grass.


See Details - Click Here

Details - Click Here

Giguette Lunchroom

 

 

 

 

Just north of the Grecian Pergola on San Rafael Ranch Co. property, Curtis Giguette put up this establishment to, possibly, anticipate the mobs of tourists that would also be attending the two Panama expositions in San Francisco and San Diego. It also may have had toilets to accommodate the public that the Gardens didn’t.


[1/7]